Local Attractions & Places to Visit
There is so much to do and see in the Charente-Maritime that many guests return time and time again.
The warm sunny climate, the gentle pace of life, carefree driving, and the local hospitality all add up to a memorable and relaxing time.
PLACES TO VISIT(within 1 hours drive) include the following:-
- The famous Roche Courbon Chateau some 3 kms away.
- The beautiful River Charente with fishing and boating facilities at St Savinien,Port d' Envaux,Taillebourg and Saintes.
- The historic towns of Saintes, La Rochelle,
- Cognac,Rochefort, Royan and St Jean-d'Angely.
- The lovely islands of Ile-de-Re,Ile-d'Aix and the Ile d'Oleron with their many quiet beaches.
- The long sandy beaches of the Cote Sauvage and Grand Cote.
- The Zoo at La Palmyre and the Aquarium at La Rochelle.
- The Bordeaux vineyards and the Medoc.
- The vineyards for Cognac and Pineau where you can buy and taste the products.
- The picturesque villages of Talmont and Meschers on the Gironde estuary.
- The many Romanesque Churches in the area.
- Daily markets selling a varied range of fresh produce. In addition there are monthly markets throughout the region.
- The extensive Oyster beds with the opportunity to buy fresh product straight from the producer.
- Music festivals from Jazz to Classical.
- Golf courses at Saintes,Royan and La Rochelle. There is also a 6 hole Course near Plassay about 5 kms away where clubs can be hired.
- Birdwatching on the marshes on the way to Marennes and on the banks of the Charente River.
- Cycling. (Bicycles can be hired in St Savinien).
- Equestrian activities in the locality.
- A wide range of Restaurants to suit all pockets and tastes.